You're Welcome WA Access Initiative
City of Melville
Atwell Arts Centre and Gallery, Alfred Cove
- A community art centre that has a gallery and offers a range of art classes and workshops
- The centre has an accessible toilet and two accessible parking bays
- The tutors have experience working with community groups
586 Canning Highway, Alfred Cove, WA 6154 Australia
- Art classes (scheduled) and Gallery
- Monday to Saturday 10.00am to 4.00pm
- Sunday 1.00pm to 4.00pm
Closest accessible parking
- Two clearly identified accessible parking bays on level and even bitumen.
- Bays are 3.2 metres wide and 4.8 metres long.
- Vehicle access from: Canning Highway
- Pedestrian access: Access across the car park to the entrance path and ramp.
Click image to view larger
External access and entrance
- Wide concrete entrance ramp to the external verandah of The House and The Gallery is 2 metres long with a gradient of 1:12. The ramp does not have handrails.
- The House (where classes are held)
- Front entrance has a 5cm step at the door. The door is 82cm wide, held open when classes start.
- There is a side entrance with a ramp. This entrance is also the way people using wheeled mobility aids gain access to the toilet, rather than the restricted rear corridor through the house.
- The door is 1.1 metre wide when both doors are opened.
- The ramp is 1.2 metres long and 1.5 metres wide with one handrail and a gradient of 1:12.
- The Gallery
- Wooden ramp entrance with two handrails. The ramp is wide, 2 metres long, with a gradient of 1:19.
- Double entrance doors open to create a 1.3 metre wide entrance.
A converted house with spacvious rooms and wide internal corridors that is used for classes and workshops.
Doors to rooms are 75cm wide.
Floor is vinyl.
Seating is at trestle tables 73cm high with 71cm knee clearance. Chairs do not have armrests.
A spacious area, layout depending on art work on display.
Bench seat without armrests.
Signage, customer displays and customer information
- Informative signage accompanying art work in the Gallery has small clear print in good colour contrast.
Toilet: Unisex accessible toilet
- Gender: Unisex
- Availability: Unlocked
- Signage: Access symbol on toilet door.
- External access: Off external verandah of The House. The verandah narrows to 90cm at one point.
- Main entrance: A 75cm wide door with a D handle which is light to open. This opens into a 1.1 metre wide corridor.
- Toilet door: A 70cm wide sliding door with a D handle and a hook lock The door is light to open.
- Pan height: 43cm
- Handrails: Yes
- Basin height: 80cm
- Lighting: Switch in the toilet foyer.
- Located at the rear of the Gallery along the verandah which has a small lip across the width.
- Entrance is a domestic sliding door 72cm wide, with a small finger operated lever and a 4cm door runner.
- The shop is very small and access for people using mobility devices may be restricted.