You're Welcome WA Access Initiative
Shire of Busselton
Whalers Cove Villa's, Dunsborough
- This is a 4 star beachside resort which has one villa designed to cater for people with disabilities
- There are 3 bedrooms each with a queen size bed and there is a loft upstairs which has 2 single beds
- There is a spacious bathroom and toilet and there is also another toilet off the bathroom which is accessible
- There are 2 parking bays allocated to the villa, one being undercover
- The villa is spacious throughout and has an outdoor entertaining area with seating and a bbq
3 Lecaille Court, Dunsborough, WA 6281 Australia
- Reception hours 8.30am - 6.00pm summer and winter
- After hours on-site Manager on call - 0417 177 049
- 08 9755 3699
- After hours on-site Manager - 0417 177 049
Pick up / set down bay
- Provisions are made for people to park / set down outside reception.
- You then cross the bitumen road way and take a short path to reception (see external access).
- The villa has two brick paved parking spaces. Both bays are reasonably level.
- One bay is undercover. This bay is 3.05 metres wide and 5 metres long.
- The outside bay is 3.8 metres wide and 5 metres long.
- The parking bays link to the bitumen roadway which leads to reception or to a path to the beach
- The gradient at the rear of the parking bay to the roadway is 1:11.
Click image to view larger
External access and entrance
- From the pick up / set down bay you cross the road way to the path to reception.
- The roadway links to the concrete slab path via a 2cm lip.
- The path is 137cm wide, 3.3 metres in length and has a gradient of 1:14.
- At the top of the path it levels out and then you change direction for 2 metres to the reception door.
- The reception door is usually held open during business hours and is 80cm wide.
- There is a 5cm step at the reception door.
Click image to view larger
- Reception area has a lino floor.
- The reception counter is 112cm high.
- Circulation space is 86cm.
- Staff can assist to carry bags etc if required.
Click image to view larger
Signage, customer displays and customer information
- Large sign visible from the main road.
- Signage is clear and has a good colour contrast,
- Brochures are displayed from 70cm up to 195cm, with staff happy to assist if required.
Path through attraction
- Level bitumen roadways lead around to the other villas in the resort as well as to reception and the path to the beach.
Equipment for people with disabilities
- There is a hydra lift and commode available at no extra charge.
Toilet: Whalers Stand Alone Accessible Toilet
- Gender: Unisex
- This toilet is separate to the toilet and shower in the main bathroom.
- It is accessed via a sliding door off the entry passage or via a second sliding door from the main bathroom.
- Toilet door: Two sliding doors which are 75cm wide and medium in weight to open.
- Pan height: 44cm
- Handrails: Provided
- There is a paved coutyard with an outdoor setting.
- The courtyard is off the lounge room 2 through an 80cm wide glass sliding and flywire door.
- The door has a 'D' handle and a 1cm lip at the door track internally and 3cm externally.
- The outdoor setting is glass, metal and wicker.
- The table is 70cm high with a knee clearance of 66cm.
- The chairs are metal with wicker seating and are 42cm high with metal armrests.
Accommodation Room / Unit
Whalers Cove Villa's
- This self contained unit can sleep up to 8 people.
- Three bedrooms have queen size beds that have wheelchair access from all sides, although one bedroom has a higher bed which may be most suitable.
- The loft, which is accessed via a ladder, has two single beds.
- The bathroom has a level entry double shower as well as a toilet in the bathroom.
- There is also a separate toilet which is accessible.
- Laundry facilities are available in the unit.
- The unit is spacious with space for wheelchair users to access the kitchen, dining, lounge and courtyard areas.
- Tea and coffee facilities are reachable for wheelchair users.
- Bench tops are at standing height at 90cm.
- Circulation space in the kitchen is greater than 120cm.
- The dining table is solid wood, 80cm high with a knee clearance of 75cm.
- The dining chairs are solid wood, the carver chairs having armrests and then there are bench style chairs, all which are very heavy to move.
- There are two lounge areas, both being quite spacious.
- The lounge in lounge room 1 is fabric, 45cm high, soft to sit on and has an armrest at one end.
- The lounge in lounge room 2 is leather, 44cm high, soft to sit on and has firm armrests.
- The laundry facilities are behind swing wooden doors which are light to open, have a lever handle, 107cm wide and located in the stand alone toilet room.
- The washing machine is a front loader at 50cm high and the drier is at high standing height above the washing machine at 146cm.
- There is an outdoor entertaining area with a BBQ
- The villa door is a swing door which is 76cm wide, light to open and slow to close.
- It has a lever handle and is opened with a key.
- Clearance on the latch side is 26cm internally and greater than 120cm externally.
A queen size bed with a height of 60cm and it is reasonably soft.
Clear space under bed
Combined bathroom toilet
- There are two entries to the bathroom.
- The entry off the kitchen area is a swing door that is medium to open and slow to close.
- The width of the door is 84cm.
- The second door is from the main passage and separates the second toilet and laundry from the main bathroom.
- This is a wooden sliding door which is light to open, has a grip handle, a small lock and is 75cm wide.
- A level access double shower with a wall mounted fold down shower seat which is 48cm high.
- Shower level access: Yes
- There are two toilets.
- One is combined with the bathroom as well as there being a second toilet which is accessible.
- Door: Sliding
- Pan height: 45cm