You're Welcome WA Access Initiative
City of South Perth
Scented Gardens, Sir James Mitchell Park, South Perth
- The Scented Gardens are a public open space on the South Perth Foreshore located at the western end of the South Perth Esplanade
- There are man made beaches along the river, one of which has an access ramp
- A beach wheelchair is available for loan and is stored in an access shed close to the accessible parking bays. A Master Locksmiths Access Key is required to open the lock. A key can be obtained from the South Perth Community Centre or the George Burnett Leisure Centre
- There are picnic tables, a barbecue, children's playground and the Scented Gardens within this precinct
- A male and female accessible toilet is provided
- There are two accessible parking bays on site
- This area is connected to other parts of the park via a wide, bitumen dual use path. Otherwise there is a dedicated walking path along the river edge
97 South Perth Esplanade, South Perth, WA 6151 Australia
Closest accessible parking
- Two accessible parking bays located in the parking area at the east end of The South Perth Esplanade in South Perth.
- Bays are clearly identified with a sign at the head of the bay and blue line markings with the access symbol.
- Bays are outdoors with a level bitumen surface.
- Bays are 4.2 metres wide and 5.4 metres long.
- Fees apply for this carpark.
- Vehicle access from: South Perth Esplanade.
- Pedestrian access:
- There is a kerb ramp at the head of the two bays connecting to a path which leads to the park, barbecue, picnic, beach and viewing areas.
- Pay machines:
- Ticket machines are located on the opposite side of the car park to the accessible bays, about 50 metres away.
- There is a kerb ramp leading to the island with the ticket machine, though the user is required to access the other side of the machine, not facing the kerb ramp.
- Controls are at atanding height and the LCD screen may be difficult to see in sunlight.
External access and entrance
- There is a wide, level concrete path which joins the carpark with the picnic, barbecue, and beach areas.
- There is a separate shared path which provides access through the area, away from the picnicing and beach facilities.
- The Scented Gardens, toilets and playground require the user to cross the shared path. There are warning signs when the user is approaching the shared path.
- There are two paths which continue along the length of the foreshore and Sir James Mitchell Park to connect all facilities and landmarks.
- There is a shared path, mainly used by cyclists, which is level bitumen and set back from the foreshore. Cyclists can travel at speed on this path.
- There is a path designated for foot traffic which runs along the length of the foreshore, and is level, wide concrete.
- There are a number of picnic tables located in this vicinity.
- There is one picnic table and shelter which is desigated accessible and has the access symbol on the shelter.
- The picnic table and shelter connect with the main path and are located over level concrete.
- The table is 74cm high with 70cm knee clearance, with fixed bench seats on either side. One of the seats is shorter to allow for a wheelchair user to be seated next to their peers.
- The shelter provides protection from sun and rain.
- There are three barbecues connected to the main path which are sheltered from the sun and rain.
- The barbecues are 96cm high, have controls at sitting height and are located on a concrete hardstand.
- There is a drinking fountain located on the path near the beach access ramp.
- The drink fountain is 74cm high and has a large push button operation.
Equipment for people with disabilities
- Beach wheelchair available.
Toilet: The Viewing Platform and Scented Gardens, Male and Female Accessible Toilets
- Gender: Male/Female
- Availability: Open 7am to 10pm daily.
- Male and female accessible toilets located at The Viewing Platform and The Scented Gardens in South Perth.
- The male and female toilets have the same layout.
- Signage: The toilets are identified as accessible with the access symbol.
- External access: There is a wide, level concrete path to the toilet block which joins the path network running throughout the facility. The main shared path requires crossing from the picnic, barbecue and beach area.
- Main entrance: The main entrance has a gate which is open during opening hours. The gap at the gate is 1 metre and requires the user to change direction. The main entry to the toiets is 1.2 metres wide.
- Toilet door: The swing toilet door is 76cm wide, is light to open and requires closing behind the user. It does not have a handle.
- Pan height: 44cm.
- Handrails: Provided.
- Basin height: 84cm.
- Lighting: Automatic lights.
The Scented Gardens and Playground
- There is a wide, level brick paved path to the Scented Gardens. The gardens are located on the far side of the shared path which has numerous biker riders. The crossing is well signed.
- The Scented Gardens have wide, brick paved paths throughout and a number of seats 45cm high.
- The gardens are located adjacent to the playground which is accessed over compacted grass and sand.
- The playground has a selection of play equipment located over soft fall rubber, or sand.
- There are a number of man made beach areas along the foreshore in this area.
- One of the beaches has a ramp with gradient 1:20. It is sandy at the base.
- A beach wheelchair is available in a locker located near the accessible parking bays, adjoining the main path. The storage area is accessed with a Master Locksmiths Access Key which is available from the City of South Perth to hire or buy.
- The wheelchair has large inflatable balloon-like tyres designed to enable 'easy and safe' travel over rough terrain.
- Families and carers are encouraged to access keys to operate the swing by contacting the George Burnett Leisure Centre on (08) 9474 0855 or the South Perth Community Centre on (08) 9474 0857. Groups are encouraged to utilise the booking system to secure usage.